The Laurel Tavern, Canyon Store & Frank Zappa


The building which now houses the Canyon Store was built in 1929.

The Canyon Store in 1983. That's a sweet Rabbit!

1983. Man, that is a sweet Rabbit convertible.

The Laurel Tavern

The log cabin road house was first called the Laurel Tavern. It had a bowling alley in the basement, and was later bought by silent film star Tom Mix. One of the last residents to occupy the cabin before it burned in the 1970’s was Frank Zappa.

Allegedly, Larry “Wild Man” Fischer met Frank Zappa by simply walking up to his front door and asking if he could play Frank a song. It is said that Frank did not even have locks on his doors.

Larry Fischer... guess which store he is at...

Would you let this guy in? … could he be at the Canyon Store??

In the end, Fischer would be banned from the house by Frank’s wife, Gail. After one drug-fueled episode, Larry had a fit and threw a glass bottle narrowly missing their toddler daughter, Moon Unit. The Tate/LaBianca Murders however, got Frank to pick up and move for good. Reality check! The Summer of Love and all that stuff was over and done.

Circa mid 1910s

The tavern and Frank Zappa’s old house. Photo is from mid 1910s.

The tavern was located at the Red "A" marker. Yellow circle is Wonderland house. The Canyon Store is just south on Laurel Canyon Blvd.

The tavern was located at the Red “A” marker. Yellow circle is Wonderland house. The Canyon Store is just south on Laurel Canyon Blvd.

Source:  Laurel Canyon Association

Advertisements