Nash Lawyer Defended DeLorean, Al Cowlings & Snoop Dogg
And they all got off, for the most part. I need to put Donald Re’s number in my cellphone but I can’t afford him.
The TMZ head honcho, Harvey Levin, is also quoted. That TMZ show is THE WORST! All they do is hang out at LAX and wait for B-lister celebs & rappers to come walking by. Yeah, that’s great reporting. It’s highly financed paparazzi machine!
Station Retracts Report on Simpson Prosecutor | July 16, 1994
A television station today retracted a report that a prosecutor had been videotaped at O. J. Simpson’s estate before a search warrant was issued.
“We want to apologize,” said Harvey Levin, a reporter for the station, KCBS, during a noon newscast. “We now have reason to believe that we made a mistake in one of our reports.”
The station had said that Marcia Clark, the assistant District Attorney in charge of the Simpson case, was at Mr. Simpson’s house on June 13 at least 17 minutes before the warrant was signed by a judge at 10:45 A.M. The station said its videotape showing Ms. Clark there had been automatically stamped with the time when it was transmitted to the station.
But today the station said the time marked on the tape might indicate that the tape had been transmitted at 10:28 P.M., not 10:28 A.M., as had been reported earlier. The later transmission time would mean that the video could not be used to determine whether Ms. Clark was on the property before or after the warrant was issued. It would indicate only that she was there sometime during the day.
The report had raised questions about the legality of the search at Mr. Simpson’s estate the day after his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald L. Goldman were stabbed to death outside Ms. Simpson’s condominium.
“We have reasonable doubt, so we are retracting the story,” said Sybil MacDonald, director of media relations for KCBS.
Suzanne Childs, a spokeswoman for the District Attorney’s office, said that prosecutors appreciated the retraction, adding, “We are all very concerned about seeking fairness and justice.”
Someone close to the investigation told The Associated Press that Ms. Clark had arrived at the house at 12:30 P.M. and had stayed about an hour to watch the search, which had already turned up bloodstains and a bloody glove.
If Ms. Clark had helped search the estate before the warrant was issued, it would have enhanced the efforts of Mr. Simpson’s defense lawyers to persuade a judge to exclude from the trial any evidence seized at the mansion. Delay for Prosecutors
In other developments in the case today, a judge granted prosecutors two more weeks to decide whether to charge Mr. Simpson’s longtime friend, Al Cowlings, with helping Mr. Simpson flee after murder charges were announced.
A deputy District Attorney, Jaime Hernandez, told the judge that prosecutors were still investigating Mr. Cowlings’s role in the 60-mile freeway chase that was televised nationally on June 17.
Mr. Cowlings, a former football teammate of Mr. Simpson, is free on $250,000 bail and has not been formally charged.
The freeway chase, with Mr. Cowlings at the wheel and Mr. Simpson in the back with a gun to his own head, ended after Mr. Cowlings pulled into the driveway of Mr. Simpson’s home and Mr. Simpson surrendered.
Outside court today, Mr. Cowlings’s lawyer, Donald Re, said Mr. Cowlings should be praised.
“This man is a hero,” Mr. Re said of Mr. Cowlings, adding, “This man risked his life to try to save his friend, and he did it.” Mr. Re said Mr. Cowlings’s life had been in danger because the police might have shot him.
Mr. Simpson’s lawyer, Robert L. Shapiro, has said that Mr. Simpson had planned to go to his former wife’s grave and commit suicide and that Mr. Cowlings had talked him out of it.
Mr. Re said that if Mr. Simpson’s passport and $10,000 had been in the car during the chase, Mr. Cowlings had been unaware of them. The police said they had found the passport and cash in Mr. Cowlings’s vehicle after Mr. Simpson surrendered.